Pages - Menu

Clarke: Injury won't stop me

Australia captain Michael Clarke has insisted he will continue to play Test and one-day cricket despite concerns over his ongoing back problem.
Clarke was forced to sit out the Champions Trophy at the start of the summer but returned to lead his side in the Ashes.
Australia lost that 3-0 but attention has now turned to the five-match ODI series that starts in Headingley on Friday and Clarke believes his body can handle the pressure of playing both forms of the game at international level.
"I don't know how many one-day games and Test matches I have played throughout my career but I have managed to stay on the park for the majority of those," he said.
"It's obviously manageable and I feel as fit and strong as I have been throughout my career so I don't see why I cannot continue to manage it and carry on playing in both forms of the game.
"If you look at my preparation leading up to the Champions Trophy, I had time off and didn't go to the IPL to get myself fit and strong.
"My preparation, my training was outstanding when I got over to England and five days later, I did my back.
"I don't know what is perfect preparation for my back but I think I can manage my body as well as I have done in the past and that will allow me to continue playing both forms.
"I love one-day cricket, I enjoy Test cricket and I love being part of both sides and captaining both sides. Right now I haven't even thought about that (quitting one form of the game)."
As for the series itself, Clarke promised they will take it as seriously as they would the Ashes, especially with Australia due to co-host the 2015 World Cup with New Zealand.
"I know the Ashes is a very important series, probably the pinnacle for any Australia or English Test cricketer but to me, every series is important for Australia," he added.
"It was a no-brainer for me to stay here and play these one-dayers. I want to play every game I can for Australia and I will prepare like I would if it was the first Test of The Ashes.
"The pinnacle of one-day cricket is the World Cup, so we want to make sure we are playing really good cricket when that comes around."
Clarke admitted they had turned in some uneven performances but remained confident they can improve their fortunes, especially when playing away from home.
"In both forms of the game we have not been as consistent as we could be," he said.
"In patches we have played pretty well bit we need to perform when we are away from home. Our most recent trips to the UK have not been successful.
"Let's hope we can turn that around."